Monday, August 18, 2014

Last week of Summer

I really can not believe that there is only one last week left to summer.  We've been busy cleaning closets, filling-in with new kicks and clothes and organizing fall sports equipment.  But we aren't willing to let go so quickly.  Saturday night we enjoyed a healthy Paleo dinner, a specialty cocktail and watched Mrs. Doubtfire.  It was an all around success.

So, lets start with the cocktail.  A Greenwich Insta friend mentioned this drink that happens to be a staple in the Mid Atlantic beach areas.  It's called an Orange Crush and it was delightful.  The biggest recommendation is to use FRESH juice and that shouldn't be hard this time of the year.  Make this drink this week-- you won't be disappointed!





The Orange Crush 

2 oranges, juiced
1.5 ounce vodka
1 ounce orange liqueur
splash of lemon-lime soda
ice
Pour all ingredients into cocktail mixer and shake. Strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of orange. 
As summer comes to an end, I feel like I need to get my family eating better and cleaner.  We have eaten out so much and we I have hardly made a decent dinner all summer.  Don't get me wrong, we haven't been surviving on junk, but we have had a lot of "throw together" dinners.  Hopefully, being forced into a schedule will correct that.  So, while KF and I were having a mani/pedi yesterday I pulled a Paleo recipe off of Pinterest and committed to making it.  You know what?  It was fantastic.  The chicken is stuffed with a combination of artichoke hearts, spinach, parsley and roasted garlic.  Click HERE for the recipe.   I served it with sautéed spinach (seasoned with kosher salt and garlic) and a packet of quinoa and brown rice (made by Seeds of Change) that I use frequently because it takes only 90 seconds to make...BAM!  



Hopefully I'll keep up with the healthy eating.  Now that KF has officially decided to give up swim team, I won't be at the pool from 6:15pm until 7:30pm three nights a week.  That, my friends, is life changing for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. Happy end of summer. Ours expired last week.

    Your paleo nosh sounds delish. We have lofty home and health goals around here as well.

    ReplyDelete

Labels