Monday, August 5, 2013

Where I come from



I am from the peach state, but yesterday, we were doing our peach picking at Silverman's in Easton, Connecticut.  The weather had a hint of fall in it and the sky was a brilliant blue.  I combination that always reminds me of the morning of September 11th.  We headed out early and enjoyed the farm's petting zoo first.  They had all sorts of interesting animals.  The kids laughed as I called them all by wrong names (emu/ostrich, reindeer/deer, bison/buffalo ..really, what's the difference).  For the first time in a long time, I sat back and watched my kids genuine excitement.  They are quickly approaching the age where screams of delight and running for pure excitement at a petting zoo will not exist.  So, I indulged in the moment.







There was one BIG buzzkill of the day.  They only had doughnut peaches for picking.  So, we picked our minimum of 20 pounds and now I have to figure out what to do with all these little peaches.  I'm pretty sure the uses are limited.  However, if you know of one or ten recipes, please send them my way (cough, cough...Mrs. White).








 We ended our stay with a play on the playground.  I loved the wooden structures.  The bench that the kids are sitting on was their largest tree on the property tht fell when Sandy came through.  Such a great use for a sentimental tree.






1 comment:

  1. Messaged you some donut peach ideas. hope they turn out well.

    ReplyDelete

Labels