Monday, August 19, 2013

Made it Myself Monday-- Tie Dye


I am known to be pretty crafty.  While the left side of my brain loves to create, the right side of my brain hates to get everything so messy.  So, when we take on a craft project, I try to be well organized so the project is smooth and tidy.

KF had her good friend spend the night last week and I pulled out one of my pending projects to try. Sharpie Tie Dyeing.  Leave all those buckets, dye, and rubber bands behind, this is faster and cuter (in my opinion).

Here is what you will need:

  • Tee Shirt (we used oversized for nightshirts)
  • Pom Pom Trim (optional)
  • Sharpies (we used the new NEON version)
  • Red Solo cups
  • Rubbers bands
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Medicine Dropper

Direction:

  1. Slip a plastic cup in-between the front and back of the tee shirt.  When you find a spot that you like, pull the fabric taught over the lip of the cup and put an elastic band around the cup.  I usually place about three to four cups in the shirt at a time.
  2. Use your sharpies to draw designs.  These designs will "spread" with the rubbing alcohol.  We made snowflakes, hearts, and scalloped borders along the outside to give the designs a circular feel.  
  3. Drop the rubbing alcohol on the design.  If you use too much, it will just go into the cup (love that!).  Watch the design transform.  At this point, if you want more color, let it dry and add more designs and more alcohol.
  4. I used a hairdryer to dry as I went.  This takes about one minute (also love).
  5. Keep moving the cups and designing until you have a design that you are pleased with.
  6. We sewed some pom pom trim to the bottom of the shirt just to make it even cuter.  If you have a sewing machine this takes less than 3 minutes.  In fact, I let the ten year olds do this part themselves.  

And there you have it...no mess tie dye!



1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I just found your blog and I love it! It looks like you're not writing anymore--I would like to follow you on Pinterest though. What is your name on there?

    ReplyDelete

Labels