I love Starbucks. Seriously.
When we lived in New York, we probably hit the Starbucks a couple of times a day. There was one on the block where we lived and another just outside my office.
Once we had children, I couldn't exactly get something for myself and ignore that little bundle in her stroller. So, KF would get a strawberry smoothie to sip. Fast forward, we now have three little bundles and trust me, Starbucks can become a line item in your budget if you are going frequently and buying everyone a drink.
Needless to say, I have cut back by habit tremendously.
If you like to take your little ones to the coffee shop, here are some great non-caffeine options
- HOT CHOCOLATE-- You can have the barista make the original (which has a richer and darker flavor). If you have a picky eater, you can have the barista heat a horizon chocolate milk. Whip Cream optional.
- PASSION ICED TEA-- This is a Hibiscus (read: Berry) flavored tea-- sweeten it with plain or raspberry simple syrup and I promise your bundle will love it. Alternatively, you can have the barista cut the tea with lemonade.
- SMOOTHIE-- orange mango, strawberry or chocolate are all available and they are pretty good!
- BABYCCINO-- Think of this as a cappuccino but with no coffee added. Frothy milk is fancy for the younger set!
- BLENDED STRAWBERRY LEMONADE-- made with strawberry puree, lemonade, cream base and sweetener.
- CARMEL APPLE SPICE-- This is apple cider heated up with carmel and whipped cream on top. And again, if you have a picky eater, you could also have the barista heat up an apple juice from the refrigerated area.
- RASPBERRY ITALIAN SODA-- using a pellegrino from the front case, ask the barista to add a couple pumps of Raspberry syrup and if you want, some sweetener.
- SYRUP CREME FRAPPUCCINO-- Strawberries & Creme, Vanilla Bean, and Double Chocolatey Chip are all made without any coffee and with a caffeine free base.
- VANILLA STEAMER-- This is my kid's favorite. It's 2% milk with a couple pumps of vanilla syrup.
There is no reason not to make the coffee shop a fun place for the smaller set. In fact, for an after school treat, it's definitely easier on your waistline if they choose it over the ice cream shop!