Friday, February 8, 2013

Storm is Coming

February 8th came and weather reports were calling for record snow falls.  Because metro north was shutting down early, R stayed home and together we began to get things in order for this potential storm.  Since moving to Connecticut, we have endured hurricanes, earthquakes and n'or easters.  So, it won't come as a surprise that in my mac "notes" I have a list called "storm is coming".  Here's what I've got down.

  • Cash (ATMs work on electricity)
  • Gas up car
  • Pick up an extra propane tank for the grill
  • Stock up on firewood
  • Bath kids (you never know how long you'll lose power for)
  • Wash clothes 
  • Wash all dishes
  • Gather flashlights and put them in a central spot (one per family member)
  • Gather medications and first aid and put in a central spot
  • Charge Phones, Ipads, video games, DVD players 
  • Make sure generator is accessible 
  • Make sure coolers are accessible
  • Have manual can opener available
  • Freeze water bottles to use in the coolers
  • Make plenty of ice
  • Store lawn furniture and pots that could blow away
  • Unplug any sensitive devises that could be affected by a surge
  • Prepare a "Go Bag" with personal necessities , in case you are advised to leave your home.
  • Wine Shop/ Liquor Store restock
  • Grocery (food and drink that don't need refrigeration)
    • Paper plates
    • Plastic utensils
    • Batteries
    • Fruits
    • Crackers. cookies
    • Protein bars
    • Horizon milk
    • Bottled water (3 gallons per person/per day)
Since 2010, we have had two storms that left us without power for 6-8 days.  Thankfully both were in the summer when we didn't have to worry about keeping kids warm.  I have learned that being organized keeps stress levels low.  Thankfully, businesses seem to get up and running quickly, but sometimes the water levels, the downed trees or the unplowed streets have kept us from being able to access those conveniences.

I would love to know if you have other tips or tricks to share!

4 comments:

  1. This is great! Mind if I share on my professional organizing blog? I found you through a mutual friend in ATL. All best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The storm coming tonight reminded me of one thing on my list, and I wanted to add to and not just take from your list - hit the liquor store for staples or favorites running low. Wouldn't it be terrible to be housebound for days without one's favorite quaff??? Too horrible to imagine. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right my friend! I am editing my list now and adding that on! On that matter, have you checked out the bar essentials check list? Check it out here http://bit.ly/WJOuVB

      Delete
    2. Ha, that's great! Pleased to contribute. I just did a quick blog post referring to your list here, and also added - charge all phones, laptops, computer games, and other electronic devices. I will check out your bar essentials, too, thanks for pointing it out. Cheers!

      Delete

Labels