Sunday, January 27, 2013

Pulled Pork-- a family favorite

I recently asked my kids what their favorite recipes is that I make.  As they recounted ravioli/pesto, chicken nuggets, and chicken pot pie.  I realized that none of these were things that I personally make-- I usually buy them pre-made.  I do switch up my recipes pretty frequently, but my meatloaf, my lasagne, my honey salmon, and my chili have been on my rotation since they were babies.  Perhaps, I just wasn't making these things enough to make them memorable.  Frankly, I was bummed and I realized I needed to come up with some yummy recipes that we can all eat and all enjoy.

Well, two weeks ago, I hit the jackpot.  I picked up a picnic pork (also known as a pork shoulder or boston butt) at the store and I made some BBQ for my little darlings.  This Southern Living recipe was LOVED by all.  KF said it was her favorite dinner ever.  The leftovers were so good that they all wanted to take sliders to school the next day.  Finally a recipe that we all love!

SLOW COOKED MUSTARD BARBEQUED PORK
1/2 C firmly packed light brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tep. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. ground red pepper
1 (4-5lb) bone-in pork shoulder roast (boston butt)
1 Cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce

  1. Stir together first 6 ingredients.  Rub brown sugar mixture over the pork roast.  Place roast in a lightly greased 6-qt-slow cooker
  2. Clean the pork.  I remove the band of fat that is around the meat.
  3. Whisk together mustard and next 3 ingredients.  Pour mustard mixture over the pork.  Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours (or on HIGH for 4-6 hours) or until meat easily shreds with a fork,  Let it stand 15 minutes.  Shred the pork with a fork.  Stir until sauce is incorporated.
I serve our pulled pork with coleslaw and this is an easy recipe that can be done in advance:
SIMPLE SLAW
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbls mayonaisse
1 Tbls honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp. celery seed
Whisk all the ingredients together.  Stir one 16oz package of shredded coleslaw mix.  Serve immediately or chill up to 24 hours.

1 comment:

Labels