Saturday, November 10, 2012

Thanksgiving-- Advanced grocery list

I make a very traditional Thanksgiving.  In fact, my menu is exactly the same every single year.  Some people call it boring, but I love the predictability of this holiday.  Mostly, I love that my kids have favorite thanksgiving foods they talk about in the weeks leading up to the holiday. 

For this reason, my grocery list seldom changes from one year to the next.  To make the whole process easier, I have a trick--I do two grocery shops.  One is typically done in early November and includes all my non-perishables and the other is done right before the holiday for veggies and fresh items.   This helps me to beat the crowds of people and was especially helpful when I lived in NYC and the stores were a madhouse.

Your list will be different from mine, but this is how I have mine laid out. Without my lists, I feel sure I would show up on T-day morning with no ziplocks, no bread for sandwiches, and without options on drinks/ sweeteners for my company.

Advance Grocery list

  • Mango Chutney
  • Peanuts
  • Mustards (hot)
  • Mayonnaise
  • Jelly
  • Cranberry relish-- with berries
  • Cranberry Sauce-- smooth
  • Uncle Bens Long Grain and wild rice (2 boxes)
  • White or brown  rice (1 bag)
  • Crisco (smallest container)
  • Baking soda
  • Baking powder
  • Corn Starch
  • Bisto
  • Flour (1 Bag)
  • Sugar
    • Brown Sugar (small box)
    • White Sugar (Large bag)
    • Raw Sugar
    • Sweetener
  • Snacks
    • Dried fruit
    • Carrs table water crackers
    • Carrs Croissant crackers 
    • Triscuts
    • Honey roasted peanuts or mixed nuts
    • Figs
    • Cheese straws
    • Olives
  • Olive oil
  • Vegetable oil
  • Pam
  • Dark corn syrup
  • Vinegars
    • Cider vinegar
    • Sherry Vinegar (for wild rice and cranberry dish)
    • White vinegar
  • Fruits
    • Clementines (1 box)
    • Limes (2)
    • Lemons (2)
    • Oranges (small bag)
    • Bananas (4)
  • Frozen Veggies & Fruit
    • CHOPPED Broccoli (2 packages)
    • Strawberries
    • Red bell pepper
    • Apricots
    • Corn for chowder (2 packages)
    • CHOPPED spinach (1 package)
    • Ice Cream
    • Cool Whip
  • 8 ounces of cornbread stuffing (if not using homemade bread crumbs)
  • 8 ounces of herb stuffing (if not using homemade bread crumbs)
  • Pecans (16 ounces)
  • Eggs (1 dozen)
  • Sour Cream (16 ounce)
  • Butter (3 packages)
  • Pillsbury Pie Crust (2 – 3 packages)
  • Knorr Vegetable soup mix (1 package)
  • Crescent Rolls
  • Velveeta (1/2 pound)
  • Craisons (Plain)
  • 2 cans Libby’s solid pack pumpkin (12 ounces if you are making one pie/ 2 cans if you are making 2 pies)
  • Evaporated milk (13 ounces)
  • Cream of Mushroom Soup ( 1 can)
  • Chicken Broth (7 cans or one canister of cubes)
  • Mini marshmallows (opt—1 bag)
  • Vacuum packed and peeled chestnuts ( 8 ounces)
  • Frozen puff pastry
  • Tea
  • Coffee
  • Hot Chocolate
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Saran wrap
  • Tupperwear
  • Zip lock bags
  • Cheese cloth
  • Candles
  • Table decorations (pears, apples, and dried leaves)
  • I Pound bacon
  • Mandarin Oranges


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels