Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stand up Paddle




One of my New Years resolutions this year was to try my hand at SUPing.  I was nervous that I was going to fall into the water and I was also afraid that I was going to have no balance.  One night at the beach, my friend Kara suggested we head out for an hour the next day.  Instead of giving myself time to stew on the idea, I suggested we go the next morning at 8am...just 12 hours away.  We met and were in the water in no time!  I'll admit, it took me about 20 minutes to get my sea legs.  I was a little shaky and my feet kept falling asleep, but after I began to relax, I totally enjoyed myself. 

We picked up our Yolos at Downunder’s Rowayton location which is tucked under the Rowayton Market and is a well-kept secret.  The minute you enter the store you feel like you’re on vacation somewhere far far away.  They are quick to answer questions and make you feel completely comfortable.

Kara, Fiona and I paddled up Five Mile River to the LI sound.  There are lots of little coves to explore, beautiful homes to admire, and an abundance of wildlife.  Anyone can paddle to the Darien Fish Islands, they are just along the shore, and a great two hour excursion.  It's here that they offer Yoga and Fitness classes.  If you are kayaking, the Norwalk Islands are another option and offer a wildlife sanctuary and a historic lighthouse.  Downunder offers guided tours of both if you need it.

Once we returned we headed up to get water and lunch.  It wasn't until I hit the bathroom that I realized how sweaty I was.  I was having so much fun, I had no idea what a great workout I was getting.

I am definitely going to have to source out a good deal on a yolo for next summer.  I feel so lucky that I live just a mile from the water and that I can go do this on a whim.  How amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels