Sunday, March 18, 2012

Running!

In an effort to get those Darien 10 off, I have started a fitness challenge with a group of friends here in town.  I have to say, this has been a huge motivator for me.  Not only have I been diligent about tracking my food, I have also picked up my old sport of jogging. 

Pre-kids, jogging was something I did everyday in NYC.  I would get up at 5:30 and run two loops around the reservoir or the lower loop in Central Park before I headed into the office.  I probably did this for 5 years.  But after KF, I just didn't get my running confidence back.  I was happy to fast walk, but I only broke a run on July 4th for the Peachtree Road Race.

So, for the first couple of weeks of this challenge, I hit the gym and got my feet under me using the treadmill and Stairmaster.  In week three, I hit the actual pavement moving between fast walks and runs.  Finally, this past week, I hit the road running...Yah! 

On Thursday, I was invited on a running date with Fiona and Caroline.  I was a little nervous .   Fiona is training for her 4th Marathon and Caroline is a veteran runner herself.  I almost bailed at the last minute, but agreed to go that with the provision that I may not run the entire 4 mile loop. Well, It's true, I didn't run the entire 4 miles-- I did complete about 3.  I was so proud of myself!

NYC was always a great place to run, the rising sun shining on the West Side buildings made them look like they were made of liquid gold.  While Darien's scenery couldn't be more different, it fills me with that same sense of serenity.  As always, these beautifuls runs (no matter where I am) offer me time to be inside my own head..to think things through, to work things out.  With three kids, this is something I don't get very often.  I guess this is why I enjoy going at it alone.

Here are some of the beautiful shots I have taken on my runs--most within a mile or two of our house:
Pip's Path-- one of my favorite Darien finds!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! Nice shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying running again. Its like an old friend....great to reconnect. Looking forward to Thurs (if I can walk by then)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love running here! It feeds my soul. I'd like to try Pitt's path. I often prefer to run alone, but would love going for one with you sometime. I'm trying to combine my friend time and exercise time now that I've started the biz. Going to run the MMRF 5k in June if interested. I'm also going to captain a Team Darien for Hope in Motion this year, again. I want to find a 10 k to do in the fall or late summer if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

Labels