Monday, January 16, 2012

Made it Myself Monday-- The Hats

About this time last year, I was perusing the Michaels like I often do, when I saw a girl who was wearing an adorable hat and was buying yarn.  In my chatty sort of way, I asked if she had made her hat and indeed she had.  She then introduced me to a life changing piece of equipment, The Knifty Knitter.  I could hardly wait to get back home to break it open and start a project.  Seriously, by the end of the day, I had made KF a hat and more importantly, I had taught her to make hats.  She promptly made a hat for Whisky, the cat, and her daddy.  It seriously kept her busy for hours upon hours. 

So, this Christmas, when we were making a gift-giving list-- we came upon two of her oldest and dearest  friends who had moved to Tokyo.  I told KF we needed to select something small and light since shipping charges can be crazy.  She immediately suggested hats.  Well, she started off with such gusto, that I thought we would have plenty of time.  Then, mid way, she started a sleeping bag for her stuffed hamster, and it went down hill from there.

Today, I put my foot down and together we completed them both.  I worked on pom poms and counted rows, while she knitted.  And when free skate started, I took over the reins and did a few laps for her.

Anyhow, this knifty knitter really is a stroke of genius.  It runs about $15.00 (before the 40% off coupon) and I have given them for several birthday parties with a few spools of yarn.  It always looks like a sleeper, but soon after, I have a mom chasing me down to say thank you and to tell me how amazed she is.

The picture above are the hats that will hit the mail tomorrow and below are some other projects we have completed!

As would have it, Martha has come out with her own "fancy" knit and weave loom that I got for Christmas.  I haven't played with it yet, but I do know that you can use finer yarns (which is a plus).  The optios are seriously endless as it has 34 pieces, but could easily make infinity scarves, knit rosettes and blankets.  Also, creativity for kids has come out with an entire set that is packaged much more attractively for birthday parties.  It comes with yarn and only one ring, but may be even easier for little kids.

Let me know what your up to today!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! What can I say?? I have two very excited gals who will be checking the mail daily. Couldn't resist showing them the hats, and KF's other handiwork. They are ADORABLE!! A. just commented yesterday that she liked her hat but "I wish mine had a pom pom on top, mummy." Ta da!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, loved your blog AND the hats came out great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels